Congressman Rich McCormick is a Republican member of the U.S. House, representing Georgia’s 6th Congressional District.
McCormick assumed office on January 3, 2023.
McCormick has declared his intention to run for re-election for District 6 in 2024. To date, no other Republican has declared a primary candidacy. Two Democratic Party candidates have declared candidacies: Shelly Abraham and Brian Hopkins.
McCormick is an emergency physician at Northside Hospital. Rich and his wife, Debra, an oncologist, have seven children and live in Suwanee. The McCormicks are members of Cross Pointe Church. McCormick was the runner up of Season 7 of the initial run of American Gladiators, losing in the final to Pat Csizmazia.
- Graduated from Central Catholic High School in Portland, Oregon in 1986.
- Graduated Bachelor of Science from Oregon State University in 1990.
- Earned his Master of Business Administration from National University in 1999.
- Earned his Doctor of Medicine at Morehouse School of Medicine in 2010.
McCormick spent 20 years in the U.S. Marine Corps and Navy, which included service in combat zones in Africa, the Persian Gulf, and Afghanistan. As a Marine, McCormick flew helicopters and taught at Georgia Tech and Morehouse College as the Marine Officer Instructor.
In the Navy, Rich earned the rank of Commander and served as the Department Head for the Emergency Medicine Department in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
McCormick serves on the the following U.S. House Committees and Subcommittees:
- Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations
- Middle East, North Africa, and Central Asia
- Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
- Investigations and Oversight
- Space and Aeronautics
Sponsored Legislation, Amendments, Bills, Resolutions
- H.R.4554 – To require a report on international assistance for Ukraine.
- H.R.4430 – To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to provide for improved data privacy in the operation of the employment verification system.
- H.R.3915 – Aviation Weather Improvement Act.
- H.R.1775 – AUDIT Act, to require certain bureaus of the Department of State and the United States Agency for International Development to release quarterly reviews of certain grants, and for other purposes.
- H.Res.540 – Reaffirming the state of Arunachal Pradesh as Indian territory and condemning the People’s Republic of China’s provocations in South Asia.
- H.Amdt.176 – An amendment numbered 2 printed in Part B of House Report to strike “fair market value” and replace it with “salvage value,” which is defined as the value of an asset at the end of its useful life.
- H.Amdt.126 – An amendment numbered 17 printed in House Report 118-12 to establish parents’ right to be informed of non-curriculum-based initiatives and events, and allows parents to opt-in their children to such initiatives and events.
- H.Amdt.125 – An amendment numbered 16 printed in House Report 118-12 to establish that parents will be granted the opportunity to address their school board regarding a complaint about a violation of parental rights.
Official Congressional Website
Visit Rep. McCormick’s official U.S. House website at mccormick.house.gov
Georgia Congressional District 6 Map
- VIDEO: Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp speaks at conservative conference in Atlanta - August 18, 2023
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp Announces New Georgia State Economist - August 14, 2023
- Overview of Georgia Congressman Rich McCormick (Republican) - July 26, 2023